Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Where are you located? We are located in the city of Millwood, two blocks west of Argonne on Euclid. We're just a few blocks from the original Rocket Bakery and just on the other side of the Spokane River from the Centennial Trail.
- How long have you been around? Millwood Community Presbyterian is a historic church in the Spokane Valley, started in 1925. Read a brief history here.
- How do you worship? We have two unique worship services during the school year, one with contemporary praise music at 9:30am and another with traditional hymns and choral anthems at 11am. During the summer we have one unified service at 9:30am.
- How should I dress and what should I expect if I am a visitor? You are welcome to come as you are. The 9:30 worship service is more casual. The pastor usually wears a collared shirt and slacks at the early service and a traditional clerical robe at the 11am service.
- Who are you? We are not the buildings we own or the programs we run. We understand ourselves to be the people of God, caught up in the grace of Jesus Christ, and called to love God and neighbor. We have members of all ages and backgrounds. Some of us are church veterans and others are brand new to the rhythms of church life. We trust that God is at work in our lives and yours and we're doing our best to pay attention to that and help others on the journey.
- Who are you connected with? We are a sponsor of Spokane Valley Young Life, and host our own Boy Scout troop. We run the Crossing: Millwood Community Youth Center and the Millwood Farmers' Market. We run an after-school program at Orchard Center elementary called Homework Partners. In these different endeavors we have partnered with West Valley School District, Hutton Settlement, the Rocket Bakery, and many other community groups. We are a connectional church, a member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the Presbytery of the Inland Northwest. We also have a denominational and strategic relationship with Whitworth University. We provide internships and ministry experiences for Whitworth students.
- What do you believe? We are a missional church, committed to studying God's word, and seeking God in prayer. We believe that Scripture is authoritative for our life together and we look to the historic confessions of the church to guide us in interpreting the Bible. As one new member recently described us, "We are a Biblical church that is trying some new and innovative things." We hold firmly to our heritage of faith, while at the same time seeking to engage a rapidly changing culture.
- What else should I know? We have a unique and beautiful 30 acre retreat and camping site on the Spokane River in Post Falls Idaho, about 30 minutes from the church. Camp White, as it is called, is a hub of activity in our summer months with Day Camps for the kids, Sunday evening vespers services, and fellowship of the church and community.