On March 28, 1915, the residents of the community met at Millwood Grade School and organized a Sunday School with 47 members. Mrs. L. Otto, Superintendent; Mrs. Donald MacLennan, Assistant Superintendent, and Mrs. E.S. Harrington, Secretary-Treasurer were the leaders at the time.
The Sunday School was so successful that in 1917 a board was chosen to secure various ministers for preaching services.
The need for stronger ties to a larger organization was felt on June 23, 1918; Millwood became a mission of the First Presbyterian Church of Spokane. The Reverend L.N. Williams came in May of 1923 and served a Pastor until September of 1942 at which time he became Pastor Emeritus.
Plans were soon completed for a church building and the cornerstone was laid September 23, 1923. The building was dedicated February 17, 1924 by Dr. James Thomson. Facilities soon became inadequate however, and the west wing was added the summer of 1927.
The Mueller pipe organ was purchased in 1937. New pews were secured in 1941 and carpets laid in 1942. A manse (home that the Pastor lives in) was purchased by the church in 1943. The Christian Education Building was added in 1947. Because it was not possible to get the alley condemned, the building was located west of the alley rather than being attached to the existing building. This occurred while Reverend W.W. Rasco was Pastor.
The plans and financial campaign for the current Sanctuary began in 1952. Construction was done in two phases and the first service was held Christmas Sunday in 1956. The new Sanctuary was dedicated December 30, 1956 during the Pastorate of Reverend Roy E. Howes.
The Ministry of the Pastors who followed was as follows:
1960-1968 Bob Mills
1969-1978 Ward Bjerke
1979-1984 Lou Prues
1985-1986 Ray Blackstone, Interim
Feb. 1, 1986- 2003 D. William McIvor
2003-2004 Jim Burford
2004-Present Craig Goodwin
It is impossible to record all the devotion, self-sacrifice and prayers that have made the growth and influence of this church what it has been throughout its history. Truly the Lord has blessed us with some of the finest citizens of His Kingdom. Though unmentioned, their names are written indelibly upon our hearts forever. But the History of our church isn't over. We hope you will join us and be a part of His story as we grow in God's love here at Millwood Community Presbyterian Church.